Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sadly, Kelvin Sampson Is Not Bobby Knight

I have read many articles that have been written about Kelvin Sampson's fate with Indiana University. Everyone that thinks he should be fired without delay. To all those that fall under this category, I say don’t get your panties all in a bunch. Shouldn't we wait until due process? Let’s not forget what happened to Ohio State with the Jim O’Brien situation. Mr. O’Brien filed a wrongful termination suit against the university. He went on to win the suit and the university was ordered to pay 2.2 million in lost wages and benefits. I think IU will be weary to get themselves even remotely close to the same situation. I understand he has been under scrutiny because of violations previously at Oklahoma. IU hired Sampson while under that spotlight. They knew then what they were getting in to before the allegations over the current infractions. If he is fired, then it will be because of the pressure brought on by the public, the news, and the papers.

I must chuckle when I see the comparisons made between the firing of Bobby Knight and Coach Sampson’s situation. All those that say Sampson needs to be fired because Knight was fired, are wrong. Knight had time and time again been under scrutiny for not being able to control his temper. He was under a zero tolerance policy before the final stone fell into place. Throwing chairs, slapping and choking players among many other things accused of over the period of 29 years as IU’s coach. He also won three national titles, eleven big ten titles and had one undefeated season in that period which allowed him and others to look over the flaws. Coach Sampson only has one year under his belt. In that time, he has led the team to a 21-4 record with a 10-2 conference record. (11-1 if you take the badger out of Brian Butch’s ass) He has recruited, illegally or not, one of the top players in the country and the top junior college player in the country. His players play hard for him, respect him, and their heart is irrefutable. With all the solid teams in the country, and the controversy surrounding the team, I will be surprised if Indiana University doesn’t capture their sixth national championship if Kelvin Sampson remains the coach and barring injury.

I also have to wonder why the NCAA is pursuing Indiana and Kelvin Sampson to such a degree, even with IU taking action against Sampson? You know he is not the only coach in college sports that has made illegal phone calls to recruits. He is undeniably not the only coach that has given “perks” to players if the allegations are true. Why not the quick and stern action taken against USC and Reggie Bush? I have to ask, does it have anything to do with Myles Brand, the former President of Indiana University and now the President of the NCAA? Don’t get me wrong, Brand in his short eight year tenure as President at IU accomplished much, but is he bitter that his tenure will mostly be remembered for his firing of Bobby Knight? I think he also took offense to the student body rioting on his front lawn and burning “Myles Brand look-alikes” in the form of stuffed dolls. I know only because I was there.

Kelvin Sampson probably will be fired. People will say, “It is no one’s fault but his own”, and their probably right. But just to be fair, the odds were against Kelvin Sampson the day he stepped foot on the campus of Indiana University. He doesn’t have three national titles or eleven big ten titles for people to salivate over. But what people need to realize, the era of “The General” is over. He will never again coach at Indiana University, and there will never be another Bobby Knight. So to keep things basic, get over it.

To read the allegations in full...

1 comment:

Ryan Stoner said...

bring back Myles Brand!